Saturday, March 3, 2012

Never have to work a day in your life

Today I read an interesting comic on 9gag. In the first panel, a newborn baby took the pen from his father's shirt pocket and drew on his father's face. The following panels illustrated the boy growing up, constantly drawing on walls, paper, etc. In the last frame, he was dressed for work, drawing on a drawing board with the caption: "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." This is a quote by Confucius, and it really made me think. Humans, apart from all other animals have the freedom and ability to do practically anything they want. This is why people who are singers, actors, musicians, artists, and so on are able to make a living. I cannot think of any other species that can take advantage of entertaining others to make a living, and a comfortable one at that.

I've always thought that it was necessary for people to advance mankind into the future, but now I wonder if that way of thinking was wrong all along. I mean, if everyone is happy with how life is, why should be so eager to push past this time of peace and happiness? And so I reflected upon what I am doing. As a electrical engineer, I feel I am at the forefront of technological advance, and being in the age of technology, leading the way into the future. But I am very unhappy with this field of study, as it does not fit me at all. I have repressed what I've wanted to do for so long, that I longer have anything I truly want to do. Dreams and aspirations have faded away, and now I am left with nothing but the path I am already on. I fear that I will be doomed to a lot of pain and unhappiness in the future if I continue down this path. But if I have the ability to accomplish something, I shouldn't let that talent go to waste right? It would be selfish for me to chase after happiness when I can make the world a better place right? Aha I guess no one can give me an answer to this, as neither choice is completely wrong or right. The decision is left in my hands, as it has always been, and I will have to choose soon since I'm not getting any younger...

No comments:

Post a Comment